Your Google Account name is not set in stone. You can change or edit it just as you can update any of your basic account info.
By default, your Google Account name appears on all the Google services you use, including YouTube, Gmail, Photos, Drive, and more. This means you can easily make changes to your personal information, and it will reflect throughout your Google services instead of updating your info on individual services.
Reasons for Changing Your Google Name
There are a few reasons why you would want to change your Google Account name. Perhaps you made a mistake during the signup process, and now you want to correct it. Or you recently changed your legal name, and you want the new name on your Google Account.
You can also choose to add a nickname to your legal name to let others know what you like to be called.
Whatever your reasons for editing your Google name, the process is quite straightforward, and you can do it from your computer or mobile device.
How Long Until Google Updates Your Name?
Changing your name doesn’t take long from your end. All you need is to follow the steps on how to change Google name below.
However, it can take up to a few days for Google to update the changes across all the Google services you use.
How to Change Google Name on Your Computer
- Navigate to https://myaccount.google.com/. This will take you to your Google Account dashboard. Skip to Step 2 if you are already signed into your account or follow the steps below.
- Enter your existing Google Username on the Google Sign-in page.
- Next, type in your password.
This will bring you to your account dashboard, where you can manage your Google Account.
- From the list of options on the left of your Google Account, click Personal info.
- The Personal info page opens where you change or edit your basic info, including your name and photo. Click on your registered name on the Name field to change it.
- A new page opens. Enter your first and last names in the specified fields.
- Click the Save button when you are happy. You can click Cancel if you change your mind.
You have successfully changed your Google Account name.
How to Change Your Google Account Name on Mobile Devices
You can change your basic account information on the go right from your mobile device, whether it is an Android, iPhone, or iPad.
Here is how to change Google name on your portable devices:
- Tap the gear icon on your Android smartphone or tablet to access your device settings
- Tap Google and select Manage your Google Account
- Tap on the Personal info tab (it is usually the second tab after the Home tab)
- Under the Basic info category, tap the Name field
- A new page opens. Enter a new first name and last name in the appropriate fields
- Tap the Save button when you are done. Tap Cancel if you change your mind for any reason
iPhone and iPad
The Google Account name-changing process is slightly different if you use an Apple device. You will access your Google Account settings from Gmail. Here’s how:
- On your Apple device, tap the Gmail app to open it
- Tap the Menu icon
- Scroll to the Settings option and tap Your Gmail account
- Tap on Manage your Google Account
- From the list of options at the top, tap Personal info
- Tap the Name field under the Basic info category
- Enter the new name or edit the existing one
- Save the changes when you are happy
What if you don’t have the Gmail app installed on your iPhone or iPad? You can access your Google Account from myaccount.google.com from your device and follow the steps to change or edit your account name.
How to Change Your Google Nickname
If you have a nickname that you would like others to see across the Google services you use, you can add it to your Google Account.
Google uses your first name as your Google nickname if you don’t provide one when creating your account. Thankfully, you can change this default nickname at any time.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/profile. This will take you to the About me page of your Google Account. You need to sign in to your account if you’re not already signed in.
- Click on the Name field under the Basic info tab.
- A Name page opens where you can add or change your Google nickname. Click on the pencil icon to edit or add a new nickname on the Nickname page.
- Enter your preferred nickname and click the Save button when you are happy, or click Cancel if you change your mind.
- If your old name still shows up after you have correctly followed the steps for how to change Google name, your browser or app cookies and cache data may be preventing the changes from taking effect. Clearing your cache and cookies should resolve the problem.
However, non-Google websites will likely sign you out when you clear your cache and cookies. You need to sign in to the sites again.
- You can control whether or not others will see your new name and other personal information across all the Google services you use. You can access this setting from Personal info > Choose what others see.
- If you created a YouTube channel with a different name, your new Google Account name will not reflect on YouTube.
- You can change your Google Account name as many times as you want. Changes may take a while to update across all your Google services, so you need to be patient when making changes. However, you do not want to change your account name or basic info just for the fun of it, as doing so may negatively affect how people perceive your online presence.