You’ve uploaded your new YouTube video, but something seems off. How can you edit your uploaded YouTube video without losing views?
In this guide, we’re going to talk about how to edit uploaded YouTube videos using the free YouTube Video Editor so you can make changes to your already uploaded video without losing views.
Why Would I Need to Edit an Already Uploaded Video on YouTube?
There are several reasons why you might need to edit an uploaded video on your YouTube channel, including:
- You’ve uploaded a YouTube video, and it’s getting views, but as you watch it again, you notice a mistake at the end that you need to edit out. However, you don’t want to delete the video and re-upload it because it will have a new URL, and the views will be lost.
- You might need to blur a face that you didn’t notice before uploading the video, but now that you’ve noticed it, you need to use the blurring tool on that face. Again, you don’t want to lose views or comments.
- You might want to add some music
These are all good reasons why you might want to edit an uploaded YouTube video without having to delete and re-upload. That’s where YouTube Editor comes in handy.
How to Use YouTube Video Editor
Now that you know some of the reasons you might want to edit an uploaded video on your YouTube channel, let’s dive into how to use the YouTube Video Editor.
How to Open YouTube Editor
- Go to your YouTube page
- Go to YouTube Studio by going to your profile and clicking “YouTube Studio.”
- Go to the Content page on the left-hand side to access your video content
- Find the video content you want to edit and click on the pencil icon to edit video
- Then go to the Editor on the left-hand side of the screen under Analytics to open the editing program.
How to Trim a Video
In this section, we’re going to talk about how to trim the beginning, end, and middle of your uploaded YouTube video.
To trim the beginning of your video:
- Drag (click and hold) the play head to where you want your video to start. The play head is the little bar located at the top of the video reel.
- Push play to make sure it’s in the spot you want it to be. You can do this by clicking play on the video or hitting the spacebar.
- Click “Trim,” you should notice that it turns blue around the playing reel.
- Hover your mouse over the blue line on the left side and hold and drag it to the point that you want your video to start – where the play head is located
- Push play to make sure the trim is where you want it to be
- Hit “Preview” to watch your video to make sure it’s edited how you want it to be
- Click “Save” to save your changes
To trim the end of your video:
- Go to the end of your video, and place your play head where you want to trim your video
- Repeat the steps for trimming the beginning of your video to trim the end of your video
To trim the middle of your video:
- Click the point where you want to edit your video using your play head
- Hit “Split” on the bottom of the screen to get the blue bar in the middle of your video
- You can create more than one split in any video; you only need to repeat steps 1 and 2
- Repeat steps 2-7 of trimming the beginning of your video to finish trimming the middle of your video
How to Add Blur
If you’re still in trim mode, you need to cancel out of it before you can add blur to your video.
To add blur:
- Click the “+” next to the blur feature on Editor
- Choose between Face Blur and Custom Blur
- Face blur will go through the video and find different faces throughout it. If you select a face, it will blur that specific face for you throughout the video.
- Custom blur will add a blur to a specific part of your video and allow you to edit where the blur will go in the video freely.
- If you choose a custom blur, you’ll be given another box full of options on how you want the blur to look. Simply choose between these options until you find the blur you’re looking for and apply those changes.
- Click Save, and your video will be processed
YouTube Editor allows you to add music from YouTube’s library into your video.
To do this:
- Click the “Add Music” button
- This will open a box that shows you the free music you can add to your video.
- Pick the music you want to add
- If you click the “Adjust Mix Level” button on the blue bar, you can change how loud the music plays in your video
- Drag the blue bar to trim the music
- You can hold and drag to drop the music to where you want it in the video
- Click save when you’re done to process the video
After doing any of these edits to your live video, it will take a little while before viewers see the changes. But you’ll notice that your video doesn’t lose any views or comments after you’ve made the edits.
For a more detailed guide on how to edit uploaded YouTube videos, watch this video.