In today’s day and age, accessing the internet is a necessity. In the past couple of months, especially work from home schedules have us spending hours on our computers. While the internet does give us all the information we need, it also is a great way to get distracted from your work at hand.
Here’s where blocking distracting or unnecessary websites comes in handy. What’s more, is you can also use it as a ‘child-lock’ to make certain websites inaccessible to children. Read on to know how to block websites on Google Chrome.
How to Block Websites on Google Chrome: Desktop
All you need to block websites on Google Chrome is one simple extension available for free on the Chrome web store. The extension has some great features like “Work Mode,” which allows you to set a schedule, disable or enable blocked websites for a chosen amount of time.
This way, you’re automatically unable to procrastinate or keep scrolling Twitter for extended periods. It also has password protection to prevent websites from being unblocked easily.
- Google “Block Site Chrome extension.” Click on the first link.
- Open the page and click on the blue “Add to Chrome” button found on the top-right corner of the page.
- Once you do this, you will see a pop-up on your screen that says, “Add Block Site-Website Blocker for Chrome?”. Click on “Add Extension.”
- A download will begin. Once it is done, a new window will open up that says, “Thank You for Installing Block Site.” Read the terms and then click on the green “I accept” button.
- Your Block Site extension is now installed, but it will direct you to a page that requests payment. As the extension is free, you do not need to pay (unless you wish to go Premium, but you can make the switch anytime).
Some paid features include “Site Redirect,” which allows the extension to automatically redirect you to another website of your choice when you try to access a blocked website. For example, you can be redirected to gmail.com when you type in facebook.com. It also comes with “Uninstall Prevention” to avoid Block Site being removed easily.
- Click the “Skip” button available on the top-right of the screen.
- The page will prompt you to type in the web addresses of pages that you want to block. Do so and click the “Add” or “Plus” button on the right.
- The website is now blocked. You can continue adding all websites you want to block and close the window when you are finished.
- If you want to reopen the Block Site Chrome extension, open a new window and look for the “Extensions” icon. Click on it. Look for the red, shield-shaped icon that reads “Block Site – Website Blocker for Chrome” click on it, and your extension is open again.
- If you want to unblock a website, all you need to do is open the same page and click on the red minus icon next to the website name.
How to Block Websites on Google Chrome: Mobile
Your phone can do most things your desktop can, so sometimes, it’s harder to stay focused when you have it right beside you. But don’t worry, blocking a website on your phone is just as easy as blocking it on your desktop. You still need the same “Block Site” extension, but your phone needs to download it as an app. Here’s how:
- Go to the Google Play Store and type in “BlockSite.” Click the “Install” button. This should take a few seconds, depending on your internet speed.
- Once it has been installed, open the app and click the green “Accept” button after reading the terms.
- The next screen should prompt you to enable Block Site on your phone. This allows The Block Site app to control your phone’s Chrome browser and block the websites, as required. Go to your phone settings and look for “Installed Services.” Click on it and go to BlockSite. Enable the app.
- Now go back to the app. Similar to the desktop version, it will ask you to pay for the service, but the app is also free, so you don’t need to. Click on the ‘X’ on the top-left corner, and it should bring you to a page that allows you to add all websites that you want to block.
- Click on the red “Add” button and start typing the web addresses of the relevant websites. If you want to unblock any website, click on the bin icon next to it.
- The app comes with the same features that are available on the desktop extension like “Work Mode” and password protection. You may find these handier here as it is so much easier to open apps like Instagram or Facebook on your phone and lose track of time.
- The app also comes with a feature that allows you to sync the app with the desktop extension. Go to settings and click on “Sync with Desktop.” Then go to Block Site extension on your desktop, click on Settings, and then enable the “Sync with Android” option. Click on the green “Scan Now” button on your phone. This should open up the camera. Use it to scan the QR code that pops up on the screen, and your devices are now synced.
There are other ways to teach you how to block websites on Google Chrome, but Block Site is by far the best method to do so. Options like rooting or jailbreaking your phone can give you administrator rights to your device, which would help you access or block websites that your phone cannot on its own, but doing so is risky in terms of security and legality.
On the other hand, “Block Site-Website Blocker for Chrome” is extremely easy to install, safe to use, and totally free, unless you require Premium services, which you can avail for about $7 per month or $40 per year.