There is no arguing the fact that Camtasia is one of the best video editing applications, especially when it comes to creating online training course. It has tons of features that make it easy for users to walk viewers through the steps to accomplish any task. Users can record themselves running through a PowerPoint presentation and even add voice over for a complete presentation.
Although Camtasia offers a 30-day free trial, the video editing software is not free, meaning not everyone may be able to use it beyond the trial period. This guide will help you find the best solutions if you are looking for cost-effective options or free Camtasia alternatives.
If you are interested in making short videos, you should take a look at Screencast-O-Matic. The web-based screen recording application boasts a good number of features that make it one of the best Camtasia alternatives.
Screencast-O-Matic allows you to record up to 15 minutes of video (screen capture or webcam) for later eLearning purposes or whatever you choose. Recorded videos can be saved in different video formats or published on YouTube.
You will have to upgrade to the pro version if you want to record videos longer than 15 minutes. The Pro plan allows you to record without watermarks and offers audio recording capabilities from your computer. It also features script recording, zoom, draw, and better editing tools. You will be able to publish your finished project directly to Dropbox, Vimeo, and Google Drive.
Plans & Pricing
The web-based application can be downloaded for free but requires Java for screen-casting. It is also available as standalone software that works great with Mac and Windows platforms. Upgrading to the premium version costs $19 for the Deluxe plan per year and $48 for the Premier plan per year.
Here’s another excellent choice for the Windows user looking for something easy (or Ez). EZvid has one major advantage over other Camtasia alternatives, and that’s its user-friendly interface.
- Videomaker and screen recorder: The program offers a combination of two essential features – video creation and screen recording. Unlike Camtasia that supports video editing, EZVid captures videos in clips and adds them directly to the timeline, where users can do all the editing they want. There is no need for any other editor.
- High-Resolution video formats: EZVid supports a wide range of video formats, including High-Definition (HD) videos for users’ convenience.
- Speech synthesis: EZVid is not just a screen recording tool. It also lets you generate computer narration for the videos you create.
Plans & Pricing
There are no premium options with EZVid. The software is available for free download on Windows desktop platforms.
Free Cam is a free screen recording application that allows you to easily create screencasts, edit your recorded video clips, and upload your finished project to YouTube. There is no time limit or watermark with this option.
This option beats many other Camtasia alternatives by a wide margin because it is a professional-level application with a built-in video and audio editor for creating high-quality online presentations.
- Screen recording area: The program offers the flexibility of defining what area of the screen you want to record. You can define the entire screen or individual windows.
- Sound editing: The studio editor allows you to remove background noise from your recordings. You can also include background music or system sounds in your videos to make them more interesting.
- Voice over: You can include a recording of your voice in your screencasts or presentations during or after the capture. This is particularly useful for preparing online courses.
Plans & Pricing
If you think Free Cam is completely free, then you are correct! As the name suggests, the professional-level video editor is offered free of charge, making it one of the best free Camtasia alternatives available. However, it is available for Windows users only.
Note: iSpring Cam Pro is Free Cam’s upgrade version with tons of additional features. It cost $227 per year.
It is rare to find a list of Camtasia alternatives without a mention of CamStudio, and for good reason. It might not be as impressive as Camtasia, but it works well to produce simple instructional videos and be used for online streaming. It works as an on-screen recording tool and can also capture audio on your computer.
- Smaller video files: CamStudio creates AVI files and other video formats in comparatively smaller sizes. This helps with faster uploads.
- Webcam recording: You can use record directly from your webcam along with screen capture.
Plans & Pricing
CamStudio has no premium version. It is free for Windows systems.
TechSmith Capture (Formerly Jing)
This last option comes from the developer of Camtasia – TechSmith, so you can be sure it is a great alternative. Formerly known as Jing, TechSmith Capture is your best bet for creating how-to tutorials, demos, and short videos.
- Video and audio recording: You can capture videos using a webcam and record system audio, in addition to screenshots.
- Screen capture area: You can choose between regional image capture and full-screen capture.
- Embed screenshots: The screen recording and capture program allow you to easily embed screenshots into documents or save them on your local drive. You can also share them to cloud services such as Screencast.
- Image annotation tools: It allows you to add annotation images to make your presentation more captivating. Image annotations include rectangle, highlighter, arrow, and callout. It also offers size control and lets you change the font face.
Plans & Pricing
TechSmith Capture is available for free download for both Windows and Mac users.
Clearly, there are many good video creating and editing applications besides Camtasia, and many of them are completely free. Most of the options listed in this guide are very easy to learn and use. Plus, some of them come with a wide range of features that can go toe-to-toe with Camtasia.
Now, go on and choose any of these Camtasia alternatives and start making instructional videos that will add value to people’s lives.