The video editors with special effects in this list are all available for free, with some having paid tiers that provide even more features than the base package offers.
Some of the best video editing apps are simple, but they still provide professional results. All the options on this list are suitable for hobbyists and professional video editors working on big projects.
VSDC Free Video Editor
VSDC offers its video editor with a special visual effects tool as a paid and free version. And while the free version has lesser features, it still gives you access to the entire video editing suite of VDSC. Users get a Chroma key functionality and a mask tool for green screen effects.
The full version of this video maker includes video stabilization, presentation or slideshow capabilities, robust post-production effects, 3D diagram templates, and social media publishing.
- Full suite of transitional effect options
- Color correction tools
- Mask tools for highlighting, blurring, or hiding specific elements
- Easy to use image filters
- Social media links for shared videos on YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo, Twitter, and Facebook
- HEVC/H.265 (an advanced video-compression standard) for maintaining the highest quality at the minimum file size. This is essential for processing 4K and HD files
DaVinci Resolve is professional video editing software created to combine color correction, audio post-production, and professional 8K editing into one video editor, making the software one of the best video editors with special effects. You can use it for commercials, television shows, and movies.
DaVinci Resolve has both online and offline editing capabilities, and when combined with its high-performance playback engine, users can save time when trimming and editing. This is especially the case with RAW and H.264 formats, which are processor-intensive video file formats. While the features available in this video editor might be more than a little complicated for some, it does offer a free version that is suitable for just about anybody.
- Inbuilt video edit tools for retiming, dynamic zoom, audio, text, and picture in picture effects
- A dedicated trim interface that provides users editing capability even in minute detail
- Dual timeline for trimming, cutting, and quick navigation
- Facial recognition software that can easily detect faces in footage and automatically create bins for individuals in the shot
- Intelligent auto-editing with the capability of syncing visual and audio clips
- Frame rate conversions and high-quality motion estimation speed changes to realistically speed up or slow-down clips
HitFilm Express is the perfect video editor for those either new to video editing or who do not have as much experience.
At first, new users might be overwhelmed due to the sheer number of features for creating polished video content. But once they get the hang of it, HitFilm Express is easier to use.
The video editor is used to create Hollywood-style movies, thanks to the animation tools that enable users to create and edit video and audio transitions without requiring composite shots. This can be a massive time saver when it comes to editing.
- Auto stabilizer to make footage is smoother
- Professional-grade video editor with color pickers, motion tracking, as well as cropping tools
- Unlimited audio and video timeline-track creation
- Adaptive trimmer, which lets users re-trim clips even after they have been added to the timeline
- Audio mixer to help fine-tune sounds to professional-quality output
- The ability to copy a set of attributes from one clip and apply them to either another clip or a whole new project
- Enhancement of composite shots that let users animate two individual shots for surreal video effects
- A plethora of transition options like dissolve, zoom, and push
Another option for best video editing software is Videopad. VideoPad is a leading video editor perfectly suited for individuals looking to create high-quality videos at a cost. The application has various simple and easy-to-use features, such as a sound effects library and 3D video editing that enables users to try various video styles and compositions.
With VideoPad, you can edit videos using overlays, special features, transitions, and texts. You can also use sound effects and color adjustments. Once you edit your video, you can export it to social media platforms, like Facebook, YouTube, Google drive, as well as your mobile devices.
VideoPad has one major drawback. It doesn’t have some of the advanced features found on other video editors on this list. For this reason, the video editor might come off as too simple for advanced users.
However, it has features that allow you to overlay images and text, add light effects, and fine-tune colors. This makes the software a great addition to this list.
- Premade and professionally looking transitions
- Double built-in screen with one showing the complete sequence and the other previewing selected clips. This makes editing easy and intuitive
- Exporting presets that allows you to create video files specifically optimized for certain platforms such as YouTube and Facebook
- A large collection of visual effects and video transitions to customize videos
- A wide selection of video optimization tools like stabilization
- Social media publishing and sharing tools for instantly sharing videos
Lightworks is a video editing app that has an intuitive and simple interface that makes it easy to learn and use, even for the complete beginner.
This tool also has a plethora of video tutorials, so getting a handle on video editing is pretty straightforward with Lightworks.
Users can access a collection of original stock music and video clips licensed to feature in just about any video.
- Speed optimization allows you to continue editing while importing new content
- High quality and easy to understand trim functions for precise and fast video editing
- Multicam editing to seamlessly sync clips from various cameras
- Easy video sharing with quick export to Vimeo, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook
- Real-time project sharing, providing full control to editing access among teams
- Supports a vast array of video formats